Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction

What is Council Tax Reduction?


You will get money off your Council Tax bill if you qualify for Council Tax Reduction.
You can apply for Council Tax Reduction whether you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

Who is eligible?

You may get Council Tax Reduction if:
• you pay council tax
• you’re on a low income or claiming benefits

What you’ll get

The most you can get is a 100% reduction. How much you get depends on:
• where you live - each council runs their own scheme
• your circumstances (eg income, number of children)
• your household income - this includes things like savings, pension, your partner’s income
• if your children live with you
• if other adults live with you

Click here for details on how to apply  

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing benefit helps you pay your rent if have a low income.

What you’ll get

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.
You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.
You may also be able to get help with your rent if your benefits stop.

Click here for details on how to apply